Monday, February 2, 2009

And...the Buffettmeister is home.....

So......a recap of Buff's excitement.....

-Dropped off at 7:30 at vet. He is never a happy camper there. Ever. He growled at the receptionist and tried to hide from the vet tech......behind me. So, I got to go with him to the back. We stopped at the scale and he refused to get on. I picked his 63 lb arse up and placed him on scale.

- He still refused to go with tech. So, I got the fun duty of having to take him in back to the kennel area. I felt like a turd leaving him............The tech promised to call me (on my cell) as soon as they were done so I would know he was ok. (Border Collies are known to have anesthesia probs).

-At 11:30 the home phone rings. Caller ID says "Magnolia Veterinary". In panic mode I answer. On the line is the DOCTOR.....who is stumbling on his words. FULL PANIC MODE. Once he finally spit it out (or I quit freaking out) he says he has a fractured tooth. I give the A-OK to extract.

-At 1:00, my cell rings. Its the tech. He did very well....but was under for more than two hours so they want to keep him longer.

-I call at three.....and they say he is cleared to go.

-Upon arriving, the receptionist (a different one from this morning) heads in back to get my boy. She comes back out and says I need to get him. So.....I go back to place I deserted him earlier. Another tech is there and walks in first and I can hear him growling. Once he heard my voice....the growling stopped.....and the whining began. They have me open the kennel and get him out......and then I am sent with whining/growling/shaking dog to wait to talk to the doc.

-Fast forward thirty mins....Buffett manages to crawl all 63lbs of black hair ball onto my lap as we sit on a super uncomfortable bench. He growls at every soul that walks by. Every single person. I continue apologizing profusely with the "I swear he is only like this here" record playing over and over and over.

-FINALLY at 4:30 the doc comes to see us. Buffett is truely not a fan. I had to lift cheeks up so the doc could show me the extraction site. Evidently, Buff was quite snappy with him at some point during the day....I guess the doc wanted to keep his fingers intact.

-Poor Buff is finally now home. And he is miserable. And still kinda sedated. And whiny. Bless his heart.

Lessons from today:

1. Everyone was shocked to see him curled up on my lap as we waited. A couple different people made comments about "thats quite the lap dog" and the sort. Buffetts answer was always a growl. My take? He is not limited to conform to what the standard accepted norm is.

2. When miserable, he just wants his mom.

3.
Even though he was in uncomfortable surroundings, in an uncomfortable surrounding....and I PUT HIM THERE....he still loves and forgives me.

How many parallels can be drawn from this?

(He is now snoring LOUDLY next to me)

Until next time.....


1 comment:

Allison Reynolds said...

poor puppy!

...casper sends kisses =)